Thursday, November 26, 2009

Water Back On

This post is a couple of days late, but last Sunday, Italo and I laid new pipe in the ditch we'd dug, hooked up the new pipe to the old pipe just short of where the pipes connected to both the water meter and to enter the house, and voila! Water again. And what a good feeling! I never worked with PVC pipe before, so Italo had to tell me what to buy--there's a purple juice that goes on the end of the pipe first; when that dries the glue goes on, and then you've got about 2 seconds to put the pipe connector on that before the glue dries. Once he told me, it was a dream job. We put together about 125 feet of pipe in about 4 hours, digging out the ditch here and there to make it even or to allow the pipe to make the bends around the back porch without strain.
Felt good. And the cost wasn't bad. Someone quoted me "about $1,500, if there are no problems" to do it, and as I don't have that money right now, doing it myself--and then with the fantastic help of Italo--was the only option. Either that or spend my life turning on the water at the water meter for a half an hour twice a day. But not only did it feel good, the cost was about $100 for parts. That's it.
I just began burying it last night; I wanted to give it a few days to see if there were any leaks. I'll finish that today while the turkey is in the oven.
Speaking of which: I hope every one of you has a wonderful Thanksgiving day, whether you celebrate it or not. I hope your bellies are full when you go to bed and hope that there's a little extra to give to someone who has less than you. I hope you share laughter and get to see family and friends, or if alone, that that's what you chose.
In any event, here there will be turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, peas, yams, cranberry sauce and maybe I'll get a chance to whip up a couple of pumpkin pies.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYBODY!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Grudge said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving day!