Monday, September 08, 2008

Two Wonderful Notes to Get

Got two wonderful notes via email today. The first concerned two friends whom I met when they came--separately--as guests on one of my trips to Amazon. I saw them a couple of weeks ago when I officiated at their wedding and this morning, early AM when I couldn't sleep, I got a note from Tree that he and his new bride, Mandala, were on the way to the hospital for her to give birth to their baby. I hope it's a good one, guys. Give him or her a beautiful life. Erin go Braugh! and Mazaltov!
(UPDATE: The baby Lander Caiman, was born 9-8-8, 7:25 PM at a healthy 7lb 6.5oz and everyone is doing fine. Hooray!)


The second note came out of the blue. My father was a Broadway actor and raised the six of us on an actor's salary. And he was damned good. Probably better as an actor than I am a writer. My mother,a noted radio actress who stayed at home for several years to raise us, finally went back to school and became a speech teacher in the New York Public school system for maybe 15 years before she returned to acting a couple of years before her death.
But she must have affected at least one person. Here's the note I got from a former student of hers that I didn't even know existed. And it must be at least 36 years since she was a student because my father died in 1972:

"The internet is a wonderful thing. Whenever I think of someone from my past, I Google. Today for no apparent reason, I thought of my speech teacher from Richmond Hill High School Mrs. Gorman.

I remember one class when Mrs. Gorman's husband visited and did a reading from Julius Ceasar. You could hear a pin drop in that class, that day.

As much as I remember that reading, even more vivid is the class reaction. Mrs. Gorman's class was the last period of the day and when that bell rang everyone was out the door before the sound of the bell died out.

Not that day, everyone sat transfixed as Mr. Gorman finished his reading.

Just a memory I thought I'd share."

How's that for a nice note day?

2 comments:

Jorge Villacorta Santamato said...

WOW Mr. Gorman! Great notes!

You are an awesome writer. In this article, you knew all the facts from the begining. I did not. So, it was a little difficult to understand the whole story until the end. You wrote:

"But she must have affected at least one person. Here's the note I got from a former student of hers that I didn't even know existed. And it must be at least 36 years since she was a student because my father died in 1972:"

After this, you explain that your father visited the classroom where your mother was teaching and did a reading.

Only with this information, I understood the previous paragraph.

Interesting! There are too many ways to tell a wonderful story!

Carl Wigren said...

abandoned oil/gas wells in Fort Worth
Carl Wigren to drsoller, Mistletoe
show details 11/28/07

Reply

I was hoping you could help me locate any historic maps that locate abandoned, plugged oil/gas wells in the city of Fort Worth Texas or point me in the right resource direction.

Urban gas drilling is proposed for our neighborhood of 500 historic Fort Worth homes. I happened upon the following article in Industrial Fire World concerning an gas well explosion 60 miles from Fort Worth:

http://www.fireworld.com/ifw_articles/northtexasblast.php

Seems that the problem was abandoned plugged wells in the proximity of the modern well site that vented natural gas to the surface.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer,
Carl Wigren




Reply
Reply to all
Forward
Carl Wigren to c.camp
show details 11/28/07

Reply

I think the presence of abandoned/plugged wells in or around urban Fort Worth would immediately shut down the gas drillers. See the article below that I referenced in my email to a USGS librarian.

Carl Wigren
- Show quoted text -
Reply
Forward
David R. Soller to me
show details 12/3/07

Reply

Mr. Wigren -

I think that for an issue like this, it would be best to contact the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology (http://www.beg.utexas.edu/). They would know, or be able to point you in the right direction, I feel certain. If you are not able to find what you need, please let me know and I'll make a direct inquiry. Thanks, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Dave Soller
Chief, National Geologic Map Database
- Show quoted text -
--

Reply
Forward
Carl Wigren to jfuquay, Mistletoe
show details 12/4/07

Reply

Mr. Fuquay,
Getting hold of a map that documents historic wildcat sites and overlaying with our urban FW might make an interesting story. Please see message below. Please refer to article in Industrial Fire World ( http://www.fireworld.com/ifw_articles/northtexasblast.php) that documents Palo Pinto explosion and causation by historic abandoned wells in the vicinity.
Carl Wigren
- Show quoted text -
Reply
Reply to all
Forward
Carl Wigren to David
show details 12/4/07

Reply

Thank you for the lead. I may be contacting you soon if nothing turns up.
Carl Wigren
- Show quoted text -
Reply
Forward
Fuquay, Jim to me
show details 12/4/07

Reply

carl –



thanks for the note. the Railroad Commission has online maps that (supposedly) show all the wells, including plugged and abandoned. there are some in western dallas county and some in western tarrant county and eastern parker county that i’ve noticed, generally vertical oil wells drilled in the late 1970s and early 1980s. i’m not aware of any within fort worth proper.



Jim Fuquay

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

817-390-7552

From: Carl Wigren [mailto:carl.wigren@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:34 AM
To: Fuquay, Jim

Cc: Mistletoe Heights Neighborhood Association
Subject: Fwd: abandoned oil/gas wells in Fort Worth

- Show quoted text -
Reply
Forward
Carl Wigren to David
show details 12/6/07

Reply

Dave,
According to Sigrid (see forward email reply), the repository of TBEG does not have records of historic well sites. I will check her suggestions. I may try the county clerk or the local historic museum? I understand that the Palo Pinto explosion was traced to an unknown abandoned oil well drilled in the 1930's.

I find it hard to believe that no one has looked into this problem. If you have any creative ideas on how to approach this, let me know.

Carl Wigren
- Show quoted text -
Reply
Forward
Carl Wigren to Jim
show details May 7

Reply

Hi Jim,

We corresponded in December about trying to locate and assess the
danger of old plugged wells in the county as Barnett drilling proceeds
in urban areas.

I finally got a hit with the Oil Information Library of Fort Worth

http://www.oilfw.org

The librarian, Roy English, wrote me back saying that he has:

"Tarrant drilling information--at least back into the 1930s. Our
Tarrant maps are old (1985, but with street and road patterns as they
existed in the 1940s). I began trying to keep the maps updated as to
Barnett Shale wells, but in 2004 I lost control because of my work
load and never continued the updating. Our Tarrant maps are,
therefore, current only through about May or June 2004 for well
spots."

I hope this is of help.

Carl Wigren
- Show quoted text -
Reply
Forward