Monday, January 20, 2014

Disappointment Whores

So Madeleina and I had a fantastic Martin Luther King day. We prayed some, did some exercise, ate a good breakfast, she practiced the flute and piano, I was finishing a story. Then shopped for the veggies we need for the fresh Atlantic salmon and salad we're having tonight--no rice, potatoes, bread, we've pretty much been off those for a couple of months. Then I gave her $40 to buy me some books for my upcoming Peru trip while I went on to Two Bucks to buy my two minis of whiskey. She bought me two Elmore Leonard's, an Agatha Christie, and two others. Good choices for relaxing in Iquitos after the trip.
    While on the trip, I forget which part, we were talking about new cars and everything they can do--which stemmed from the story of a refrigerator which sent out 750,000 malware emails today, which it apparently could do because it was hooked up to the internet. She opined that while she loved technology--refrigerators over ice boxes, for instance--she didn't like the gas pump telling us: "Your transaction has been authorized, please begin to pump" at all. I agree. I don't like being told what to do by machines. After pumping gas she asked me why rich people had such huge refrigerators and I told her it was just status: The same person who would never touch tap water has tap water running into their $6,800 fridge to make their ice, for instance. And we laughed and she asked me why people bought fridges like that unless they were going to have 50 people every night. I said it was just the status of it: The interior designer said it added value to the home--even though anyone buying that multi-million dollar home would not keep the fridge owned by the last rich person who owned the home. "Nobody, even if they think Beyonce is the most beautiful woman in the world, is going to pay $10-$20 million for her home and keep the fridge," I said. "I mean, can you imagine the conversation with the wife? 'Honey, this fridge is great. Beyonce had it, and there's a little mold behind the veggie drawer, but we can get that out with a little peroxide and a toothbrush!'"
   No. Not happening.
   So we decided to call people who needed all the bells and whistles on fridges, in their cars, wherever, 'Knob snobs'. They're snobs for the number of knobs their stuff has. Our Ford Rangers, on the other hand, have a light switch, a standard clutch, a windshield wiper knob, a radio knob, a heater/air conditioner knob and a horn. That's it. You can't be a knob snob with seven knobs.
   Home, Madeleina began to talk about people wallowing in self-pity. "I call them disappointment whores, dad. It's like they're looking for something to be disappointed in, they depend on it."
   That's my Madeleina. Smarter than I'll ever be. Thanks for being my kid, kiddo.

1 comment:

Zarbby Malapai said...

Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including herpes, diabetes, asthma, HIV, HSV1&2, hepatitis, HPV etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was cured from Herpes and HPV and my aunt and her husband were cured from Hiv too by DR. Chukwu madu herbs. He uses natural herbs to cure different kind of virus. Dr. CHUKWU,prove to the world that natural herbs can cure all illness and he cured countless people using herbs. I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. I was diagnose of Herpes and HPV in 2016 and i believe there is cure even when the doctors said there is no cure yet. I strongly believe in herbs and i came across a comment on a blog written by Lisa Pierre, saying she was cured from HERPES by Dr. CHUKWU MADU and i contacted his herbal hom on the email that was provided on the comment and order one for myself and he send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after i finish taken it i went for checkup and the result shows am Herpes and HPV NEGATIVE. The doctor said that the virus is completely gone from my body. There is no harm trying herbs it work perfectly and it has no effect. You can contact Dr. CHUKWU MADU to get yours.. His email is dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com.
WhatsApp +2347030936239.