Saturday, March 22, 2014

Our House

I stumbled on a beautiful website today--maybe while reading Huffington Post--devoted to beautiful homes. Some of the 57 homes pictured were on ocean coasts; some were on rivers; some were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. A couple were built as replicas of small castles; one was a really gorgeous log cabin on a river. A lot of them had fantastic pools or moats; some had bowling alleys or two-story libraries. These were beautiful homes. Look at any one of them and you could picture yourself living there in bliss forever. Just fantastic architecture, fantastic settings, thrilling designs.
    My house sprung a new leak in the water pipe last night. It's the second leak in three months. The first came about when the crew building the new road in front of my house moved the water meter in the ground with a Bobcat, breaking the line. I have not figured out why the new leak happened, but it left us with filling up a couple of 5 gallon pots with water for cooking/dish washing, and filling the tub with water to flush the toilet. I'll fix it tomorrow, but today I had to work on a story so couldn't.
    A few years ago a leak in our hot water heater went unnoticed for a week or 10 days and that put so much water under the house that the cinderblock foundation re-settled which sort of bent the beams which threw the whole house out of whack. That caused cracks in the roof and the kitchen floor, which led to rain coming in and dripping on my desk on heavy rain days and led to spaces between the kitchen floor tiles. It also almost dropped the pantry--where we have the washer/dryer/tools/junk--right off the house. That's now held onto the main structure by duct tape and a couple of well-placed beams to keep it from falling. The bend in the beam also caused the bathroom to move on angle. Not pretty.
   So I was looking at those houses and they were fantastic. And I remembered being invited to a house in Connecticut some years ago that was owned by the wife of the Russian media magnate--in prison at the time--which was a real castle and worth something like $40 million with another $10-$20 million in paintings and furnishings. And they were gorgeous. I'd like one.
   But you know what? I'll take my broken down house with the drip on my desk from heavy rains over all of them. Know why? Cause this is where my family laughs. And yeah, you all know my family is as broken as my house, but still, they all come over sometimes and we laugh and dance and paint and watch tv and eat like pigs and I just don't think there's a better house in the whole world than mine. Even though, I realize, nobody's ever gonna put me on a website devoted to gorgeous houses.

1 comment:

Zarbby Malapai said...

Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including herpes, diabetes, asthma, HIV, HSV1&2, hepatitis, HPV etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was cured from Herpes and HPV and my aunt and her husband were cured from Hiv too by DR. Chukwu madu herbs. He uses natural herbs to cure different kind of virus. Dr. CHUKWU,prove to the world that natural herbs can cure all illness and he cured countless people using herbs. I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. I was diagnose of Herpes and HPV in 2016 and i believe there is cure even when the doctors said there is no cure yet. I strongly believe in herbs and i came across a comment on a blog written by Lisa Pierre, saying she was cured from HERPES by Dr. CHUKWU MADU and i contacted his herbal hom on the email that was provided on the comment and order one for myself and he send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after i finish taken it i went for checkup and the result shows am Herpes and HPV NEGATIVE. The doctor said that the virus is completely gone from my body. There is no harm trying herbs it work perfectly and it has no effect. You can contact Dr. CHUKWU MADU to get yours.. His email is dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com.
WhatsApp +2347030936239.