Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Sausage, Pepper and Onions

So I was in the mood to feel like a (pardon me, we used to be allowed to say this when I grew up in Queens, NY) Guinea, someone from Sicily today and wanted sausage and peppers.
    So I went to the store, bought two pounds of fresh HOT sausage, 4 green peppers, 3 red peppers, 2 large onions, 2 large tomatoes.
    I got home, stabbed all the sausage on both sides, maybe 10 times, then put them in a pot of water and put it on high. I wanted to get rid of the excess fat which comes out like a cloud on the boiling water the sausages are in.
    Then I cleaned and sliced three heads of garlic and put it in olive oil. About three tablespoons of oil for all that chopped garlic.
    Then I washed and cleaned 4 large green peppers and three large red peppers and two large red onions.
    I slided the peppers and onions into thin slices--no, not julienne, just thin slices that non-anorexics might use--and did the same with a huge beefsteak tomato and three Roma tomatoes (what I had).
    When the sausage was done, I pulled it, cooled it and sliced it into round sausage pieces. I put that on a hot stove burner in garlic and olive oil to brown both sides. Then I added the onion, then I added the peppers, and finally the tomato slices. Then salt and pepper--sea salt and butcher ground black pepper. It's simmering now.
    I've got rice, nice basmati rice, cooling down.
    When the rice is done, the sausage and peppers will be done. If it needs seasoning, I'll figure out something. But meanwhile, it's a basic, traditional recipe that will not steer you wrong.
Bon Appetit!

No comments: