Saturday, February 27, 2010

That's Why I Have--Had--Two, I Guess

Ah well, lazy Saturday morning. Cold but warming up here in bucolic Joshua. Little Sierra called me at 7:30 AM to ask if I could bring donuts to her house--Chepa's place--and on the way I picked up 50lb sacks of chicken and goat food.
Came back, started working on a story I've got to have finished in a couple of days. Cleaned the kitchen. Then the phone rang. It was Chepa, the wife/ex-wife.
"So how are you doing?" she asked.
"Fine."
"Doing okay? Feeling good?"
"Yeah..."
"Because what I'm going to tell you is going to ruin your day."
Subtlety has never been her long suit, but then I admire bluntness.
"Go ahead. What's wrong?"
"I lent your truck to our nephew, John. He was getting some furniture. And now it's stolen."
"Not the best news."
"You have insurance?"
"Nobody has theft insurance on a 12 year old truck with body damage."
"You should have insurance. Do you have the license plate number so John can call the police?"
"I'll find it."
"You shouldn't lend your truck like that. And you should get some insurance."
"I didn't. You did."
"Oh, that's right. Sorry. Now the thing is this: I need your other truck now because John still has to get the furniture. Can you bring it over soon?"
"No."
"Now you're gonna get mad at me, right?"
"Not at all. Life happens. And I would have lent you a truck if I still had two. But now that I only have one, if I lend it and something happens, I won't have any..."
"You shouldn't think like that. Be more positive."
"I am. I am positive I'm not giving you another truck to give to John so he can park it in the same place in the same neighborhood where the first one just got stolen..."
"I hate you, Gorman."
"See you for dinner, Chepa."
"Make it early. I don't want the girls to eat late. And forget about that old truck. Remember how the doors always stuck on that thing? It's like I did you a favor."
"I appreciate it. Really."

POSTSCRIPT: I hate to ruin a good story, but the truck was found. It turned out to have been towed by the police because my nephew parked it in a tow-away zone. I didn't even know there were tow-away zones on Saturday mornings.
So I've just spent the last 4 hours looking for my nephew, who paid the fines but can't get the truck back because he's not on the insurance. I finally gave up. Now I'm home. I'm having a mini Jim Beam. I'm glad the truck's not stolen. I'm sorry my nephew is sitting somewhere waiting for me while I'm not coming. Chepa, who really does think she did me a favor, has gone off with the girls to visit a girlfriend in a nearby town. She'll be back tomorrow. I'm stuck with the food I bought to feed them early. Boots, the blind wonderdog, is gonna eat real good tonight.
And I'll bet she needs a truck on Monday.

2 comments:

Dr. Grossman said...

I'm really sorry for your loss, Peter. But I can't stop laughing.

Kuchinta said...

Another good one! Thanks, Peter :)