Wednesday, December 03, 2014

What to Cook??????

Hello, everybody, I'm sorry I've been away. I've just been swamped with work, finishing up the Sapo book and starting a new book project with an actual company. It feels a little strange after doing the first and nearly finishing the second with my hand-picked teams, but I'll give it a shot this time so that my kids will be able to refute anyone who ever says "Your dad sucked so much he had to print his own books..." which will probably happen a zillion times.
    Anyway, that's why I have not written: Just pooped and idealess.
    But today I was at the store, getting garlic and, I thought, some shrimp, maybe for a quick shrimp stir fry. Madeleina and I had grilled, marinated chicken and veggies on Sunday, then a nice steak--chuck, cooked like a steak and then sliced--on Monday, and then salmon with sesame seeds/sesame oil, scallions, garlic/olive oil/red pepper and chinese cabbage last night, with a side of spinach and a salad. So tonight I was thinking maybe shrimp. Then I got to the store: HEB. On the way to the fish counter I ran into a 2" thick chuck steak that was marbled by an Italian, I swear. I was changing my mind to steak again, but then saw the shrimp: Gorgeous Gulf Shrimp, wild caught, 16-25s, deveigned for $7.95. I got 1.2 pounds, just in case someone like Chepa or Italo or Marco came over. But then, I remembered that we had all that salmon left over from last night: I cooked 7 oz each and we probably ate half of that each. Damn it was good, so good, but so darned filling. So there I am: Steak, shrimp, left-over salmon. I've got good veggies: Spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, scallions, red onions, red and yellow peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, shiitaki shrooms, garlic, shallots and then cilantro and curly parsley and I'm not sure what else.
   What to do? What to do?
   Then I got it: How about a nice white clam sauce on thin spaghetti with a few shrimp and the diced-up left-over salmon. Toss in the bok-choy and Chinese cabbage, the scallions, red pepper, garlic, spinach? Yeah, that's the ticket. So I bought a couple of dozen fresh clams and the spaghetti water is on. Salads are ready, just waiting on the shallot vinagrette.
   So that's where we're going tonight. In the neighborhood? We've got enough to share, always.

No comments: