Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Mortgage Done!

Well, that's it. The mortgage is done. Do not owe another penny on this house. Insurance and taxes paid through Jan 1, 2016. Made the last payment last week. Today I went to the bank site and there was my Chase credit card, but beneath it was nothing. It was as if the mortgage never existed. No note of congratulations, but also no note reminding me of the next payment. Started out with $73,800 on January 11, 2002. Finished in 13 years, 5 months. It wasn't easy, but it got done. Now it's time to pretend I still have that mortgage payment, plus the extra $600 a month I've been putting toward it for the last four or five years and use that to pay off credit cards, get Madeleina a good used car to use at college in the Fall, and all that jazz.
    Unreal. And it doesn't really feel like anything yet because I made the last payment just a few days ago. I will be it will feel like something next month when I don't have to pay it. Then I'll be jumping for joy. Right now, I'm just thrilled that the universe allowed me to get 'er done. Better or worse, it's now ours all the way. Bank ain't got no papers on me. Hooray!
    I'm gonna guess that Chase won't send me a congratulatory note because they bought my loan from Century 21 about 6 years ago, figuring I was gonna pay interest for 24 more years. I still owed about $65,000 then and the bank was drooling over the $90,000 in interest that was going to produce. Didn't happen. The bank can't be happy. Oh, well.

No comments: