Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Son, The Goat Herder....

Italo told me he'd kill me if I wrote this title to the blog, but what the heck, how could a dad resist. Italo's the only one of us fast enough to enter the acre-large front yard and out-run the goats to the chicken coop, with promises of goat food on the way. He carries a handful of food that he drops by micro weight en route. They follow. There he tosses in four or five pounds and they enter, only to be trapped by their own greed. I'm not as fast as him and so get gored, butted, bitten, kicked along the way. Madeleina gets positively man....goat...handled along the way, and Sierra, age 2, doesn't make it 5 feet before the big goat with balls and dick is trying to have some sort of intimacy with her.
Big goat is gonna be bar-be-que next week. We made a mistake taking a goat that hadn't had his nuts wrapped in an elastic band. The other goats are fine. They're loving, they're playful and they're intimidated by humans....not that they should be in real life, but they let us actually go into the yard without trying to kill us, which I THINK is a plus....
Today, Italo did a bar-b-que (sans goat) with some chicken I'd marinated in olive oil, garlic, onions, soy, achote, vino, vinegar, salt, pepper and a couple of Peruvian spices and I'm about to serve it. The dogs are crazy already for the bones.
I'm gonna watch No Country for Old Men, and Madeleina is gonna watch a Nancy Drew movie. I wish it was the old days and she had to watch with me...she wishes it was the old days and I had to watch with her...
We're both wrong and right.
And we've got beans asparagus, broccoli, sweet grilled peppers, yellow rice, salad....hopefully we still fit into our shorts in the morning....
And hopefully we're both in Peru in a month. I can't wait to take Madeleina back out to the jungle she hasn't seen in five years. She's going to discover that she's a monkey. She can climb trees. If you look at her toes, her big toe and next toe are nearly 3 inches apart. That's from grandma: That's tree climbing toes. I'm so jealous I could die.
And now I better see to the ribs because Italo left and said: "Hey, dad, I happened to leave the ribs on the grill. Check them in one minute or you will lose them..."
Italo never lies...
PG

No comments: